Re: Solaris 7?

Iwant Afterstep (iwantafterstep@hotmail.com)
Tue, 23 Nov 1999 15:08:12 CET

On Mon, Nov 22, 1999 at 15:09:45 +0100 Albert Dorofeev wrote:

>The AfterStep source is not Linux-specific. It compiles
>(as far as I did it) fine for Linux, FreeBSD and Solaris.
>I am running version 1.7.150 now on my Sun.

     I see.  Since there were versions for different Linux dialects at the
page I mentioned, I thought I had to have a special version for Solaris as
well.  Thanks for explaining.

>I do not think you will need a C++ compiler. gcc or cc should
>be fine (although I always use gcc I compiled it with cc a couple
>of times long time ago).

     Which one of those is simplest to use for somebody who has never
compiled anything before, and who doesn't even know what it entails?

>You will need some libraries and header files. At least XPM
>library is mandatory. JPEG and PNG libraries are recommended.
>
>HTH
>Albert

     Those libraries, do I download them, or do I create them in some
specific directory?  I assume that JPEG and PNG libraries are directories
which contain graphic material, but what is the XPM library for?  Thanks for
your advice.

                                            Ian