Re: Solaris 7?

Albert Dorofeev (albert@tigr.net)
Tue, 23 Nov 1999 17:03:03 +0100

On Tue, Nov 23, 1999 at 03:08:12PM +0100, Iwant Afterstep wrote:
> >I do not think you will need a C++ compiler. gcc or cc should
> >be fine (although I always use gcc I compiled it with cc a couple
> >of times long time ago).
> >

>      Which one of those is simplest to use for somebody who has never
> compiled anything before, and who doesn't even know what it entails?

If you have cc installed try using it. I remember having
some kind of problems although I do not remember what.
If you do not succeed - install gcc and use that one.
'./configure' will detect the compiler automagically but
you can force a compiler with 'CC=gcc ./configure'

>      Those libraries, do I download them, or do I create them in some
> specific directory?  I assume that JPEG and PNG libraries are directories
> which contain graphic material, but what is the XPM library for?  Thanks for
> your advice.

All three are libraries for different formats of graphics
files. XPM is rather basic format that stores pictures into
text files. This is good for small icons but if you try to
convert a background picture into a .xpm it will be like
a few hudreds of megabytes in size. Therefore you are best
off using jpeg files for big pictures.

The graphics libraries have to be installed before you try
to compile the afterstep sources. You have to download,
compile and install the libraries and the headers.

--
Albert Dorofeev (Tigr) - albert at tigr.net - http://www.tigr.net/
PGP fingerprint = C9 49 D0 F3 41 FA 8C D8  E9 5C 6A D4 F1 6D 65 15