Re: positioning of the buttons and text on titlebar.

Chris Lee (mental0ne@hotmail.com)
Fri, 05 Nov 1999 05:47:21 PST

Sound like a good plan to me. AfterStep's main attraction for me is it's
speed and configurability. I just hope that bit of extra code doesn't slow
down performance too much on my little 150Mhz machine.

Perfect opinion from an experiment in perfection,
Bogart "ThE MentaL OnE"

----Original Message Follows----
From: Sasha_Vasko@osca.state.mo.us
To: afterstep@linuxcenter.com
Subject: positioning of the buttons and text on titlebar.
Date: Wed, 3 Nov 1999 18:12:20 -0600

Hi crowd

As some folks, who upgarded to patch 1.7.142-09  were able to see,
I have changed the way buttons and text is positioned on the window
titlebar.

Instead of using TitleButtonStyle to guess which one of 2 styles :
0 - default AfterStep style - 3 pixels between titlebar edge and buttons ;
1 - "WindowMaker style - 1 pixel between titlebar edge and buttons.

I have changed it to define exact number of pixels between titlebar edge and
button
along both X and Y axis.

I have also used the value of TitleButtonSpacing instead of hardcoded
distance
of 3 pixels between buttons and title text.

As the result of this change I have received some complaints, that it is not
the
best way, and after some thinking I now agree that that indeed was not the
best
idea.

So here is another proposal:

Bring back TitleButtonStyle to define style, vs. define exact number of
pixels.
As the result, the following will be available styles:

0 - default AfterStep style:   3 pixels between edge of title bar and
buttons
and
      3 pixels between buttons and text
1 - "WindowMaker" style:   1 pixel between edge of the title ( in both X and
axis) and
      3 pixels between buttons and text
2 - advanced AfterStep style:
      distance from the edge will be definable via the following additional
parameters:
     TitleButtonOffsetX    - distance from the edge offset in X axis.
     TitleButtonOffsetY   - distance from the edge in X axis.
     TitleTextOffset          - distance between buttons and titlebar text.

Note that for vertical titlebar  TitleButtonOffsetX will define distance in
axis.

So I would rather appreciate community commets on that.
Unless I hear anything about it within next few days, I'll proceed with my
plan.

Sasha

# But in our enthusiasm, we could not resist a radical overhaul of the
# system, in which all of its major weaknesses have been exposed,
# analyzed, and replaced with new weaknesses.
#
# -- Bruce Leverett, "Register Allocation in Optimizing Compilers"