Re: problems with chmod-ing socket

Frederick Bruckman (fb@enteract.com)
Wed, 17 Nov 1999 20:42:43 -0600 (CST)

On Wed, 17 Nov 1999, Albert Dorofeev wrote:

> On Wed, Nov 17, 1999 at 07:41:50AM -0500, Michael Stenner wrote:
> > Here in the Duke Physics Dept, we had to change the "chmod 0700" in
> > src/afterstep/modules.c to "chmod 4700" in order to get it to work.
> >
> > I admit that I have no idea what the setuid bit means for a socket,
> > but...
> >
> > We are using sun's NFS, which may be the source of our problems.
>
> I would highly recommend that you change the location
> of the pipe to the local filesystem. I did not have any
> problems running it over NFS though but I can imagine
> there could be. Just place the pipe onto the local disk.

Here's another reason to move the socket to the local filesystem.

I'm running afterstep on netbsd-mac68k-1-4, which shares the home
directory with a netbsd-i386-1-4 box. It works well enough, but about
1 time in 3, Wharf fails to start with "...could not connect to
socket...". I have to telnet in and kill afterstep to get past it.
I suspect some kind of nfs caching effect is responsible.