Re: problems with chmod-ing socket

Michael Stenner (mstenner@phy.duke.edu)
Wed, 17 Nov 1999 11:30:02 -0500

On Wed, Nov 17, 1999 at 02:41:04PM +0100, Albert Dorofeev wrote:
> On Wed, Nov 17, 1999 at 07:41:50AM -0500, Michael Stenner wrote:
> > Here in the Duke Physics Dept, we had to change the "chmod 0700" in
> > src/afterstep/modules.c to "chmod 4700" in order to get it to work.
> >
> > We are using sun's NFS, which may be the source of our problems.
>
> I would highly recommend that you change the location
> of the pipe to the local filesystem. I did not have any
> problems running it over NFS though but I can imagine
> there could be. Just place the pipe onto the local disk.

Hmm.. If that is the case, then perhaps it should be the default, or
at least a compile time option.

I guess what I'm saying is this:
this is a bug that should be fixed, either by afterstep, or sun.  I
know of at least a couple of ways to do it in the afterstep
code. (4700 or put it on a local drive)  We have implemented the
former and it seems to work correctly.  I still suggest that it be
dealt with (or at least documented) in future versions.  If a new
version comes out with the socket moved, we'll install it.  At this
point, though, we're content with our solution.

				  -Michael
--
  Michael Stenner			Office Phone: 919-660-2513
  Duke University, Dept. of Physics	  mstenner@phy.duke.edu