Re: Solaris 7?

Michael Stenner (mstenner@phy.duke.edu)
Mon, 22 Nov 1999 08:32:45 -0500

On Mon, Nov 22, 1999 at 02:22:21PM +0100, Iwant Afterstep wrote:
>      OK.  Where do I find the "source" which I should compile?
>
>      I have searched at the http://www.afterstep.org/Download.shtml page,
> but all the versions seem to be for some specific dialect of Linux, or for
> Solaris for Sparc (I am using Solaris 7 on an Intel machine).  I have also
> looked in the Afterstep org's ftp site, but I couldn't find anything there
> either.

Both of these are on the Download page you mentioned:

ftp://ftp.afterstep.org/pub/stable/AfterStep-1.6.10.tar.gz
or
ftp://ftp.afterstep.org/devel/snapshots/AfterStep-1.7.142.tar.gz

These are both source packages.  You will need to download one of them and
unpack it with "tar -xzf AfterStep*"

If you go into the newly created directory, there should be
instructions on how to compile and install afterstep.

>      When I attempt to compile this source -- once I have learned where to
> get it from, that is -- will I need a C++ compiler?  There is none installed
> on this system, so if I need one, I'll have to start by downloading and
> installing that.

I believe that you will only need a C compiler.  If you do not have
one, you can get gcc from the GNU project.  See www.gnu.org

This should keep you busy for a while.  Good luck :)

                                          -Michael
--
  Michael Stenner			Office Phone: 919-660-2513
  Duke University, Dept. of Physics	  mstenner@phy.duke.edu