Re: Solaris 7?

Albert Dorofeev (albert@tigr.net)
Mon, 22 Nov 1999 15:09:45 +0100

On Mon, Nov 22, 1999 at 02:22:21PM +0100, Iwant Afterstep wrote:
> Thu, 18 Nov 1999 12:54:55 -0500 (EST) Andrew Sullivan wrote:
>
> >Several people have AS working under Solaris, according to the list and
> >from my own mail.  You should be able to compile the source without too
> >many problems.  Remember to read any OS-specific READMEs.

>      OK.  Where do I find the "source" which I should compile?

You can find the source in ftp.afterstep.org:
	/devel/snapshots	snapshots of the
				afterstep in archives
	/devel/patches		patches to the latest
				snapshot

>      I have searched at the http://www.afterstep.org/Download.shtml page,
> but all the versions seem to be for some specific dialect of Linux, or for
> Solaris for Sparc (I am using Solaris 7 on an Intel machine).  I have also
> looked in the Afterstep org's ftp site, but I couldn't find anything there
> either.

The AfterStep source is not Linux-specific. It compiles
(as far as I did it) fine for Linux, FreeBSD and Solaris.
I am running version 1.7.150 now on my Sun.

>      When I attempt to compile this source -- once I have learned where to
> get it from, that is -- will I need a C++ compiler?  There is none installed
> on this system, so if I need one, I'll have to start by downloading and
> installing that.

I do not think you will need a C++ compiler. gcc or cc should
be fine (although I always use gcc I compiled it with cc a couple
of times long time ago).

You will need some libraries and header files. At least XPM
library is mandatory. JPEG and PNG libraries are recommended.

HTH
Albert

--
Albert Dorofeev (Tigr) - albert at tigr.net - http://www.tigr.net/
PGP fingerprint = C9 49 D0 F3 41 FA 8C D8  E9 5C 6A D4 F1 6D 65 15