Re: Changing the X cursor

Andrew Sullivan (asullivan@sprint.ca)
Tue, 30 Nov 1999 20:12:40 -0500 (EST)

Bad user!  You didn't read the man page, carefully compiled, written, and
edited by someone we should all emulate in selflessness: David Mihm.  The
quote below is verbatim from the man page:

Cursor cursor_number cursor_type
              Specifies the cursor_type for the given cursor_num­
              ber.  Vaild cursor_numbers  are  0  though  10  and
              listed in all the shipped feel.name files. The cur­
              sor_types are listed in the
               /usr/include/X11/cursorfont.h file.

If you look in any feel file shipped with the system, you'll see this
list:

#  0 POSITION      - used when initially placing windows
#  1 TITLE         - used in a window title-bar
#  2 DEFAULT       - used in windows that don't bother to set their cursor
#  3 SYS           - used in one of the title-bar buttons
#  4 MOVE          - used when moving or resizing windows.
#  5 WAIT          - used during an EXEC builtin command.
#  6 MENU          - used in a menus.
#  7 SELECT        - used for various builtin commands such as iconify.
#  8 DESTROY       - used for DESTROY and DELETE built-ins.
#  9 TOP           - used in the top side-bar of a window
# 10 RIGHT        - used in the right side-bar of a window

And if you look in the headers file mentioned in the man page, you'll see
something like descriptions of the appearance of the cursors.

Whether you can create your own cursors is unknown to me, but I bet
someone here knows.

----
Andrew Sullivan | asullivan@sprint.ca (home)| sullivana@bpl.on.ca (work)
                              * * *
What if the Hokey Pokey really is what it's all about?
                                --seen on a t-shirt from NPR