ML searching (Was: Changing the X cursor)

Andrew Sullivan (asullivan@sprint.ca)
Wed, 1 Dec 1999 07:23:28 -0500 (EST)

On Wed, 1 Dec 1999, Albert Dorofeev wrote:

> On the subject of natural language querying the mailing lists:
> any suggestions? I was going to move in January to a new server
> and run the mailing lists through glimpse (if I ever manage to
> get it running there in the first place).

I think glimpse is pretty good.  The real problem is what I suggested in
my previous post: we don't have consistent use of terms in questions, so
indexing anything is a real pain.  Indices are much easier to construct
searches against, but if you can't build them, you have a problem.

I'll make no promises, but after a rathe dramatic change in my personal
life, I appear to have rather more time on my hands, so I'll see if I
can't throw together some sort of distributed indexing of the ML and the
FAQ.  That might get us everything we need.

A.

----
Andrew Sullivan | asullivan@sprint.ca (home)| sullivana@bpl.on.ca (work)
                              * * *
What if the Hokey Pokey really is what it's all about?
                                --seen on a t-shirt from NPR