Re: FWD: Re: New snapshot

John Gruenenfelder (johng@bach.as.arizona.edu)
Tue, 11 Jan 2000 15:30:31 -0700 (MST)

>... But make barfs with the following error:

>make[1]: Entering directory
>`/home/wizard/src/AfterStep-1.7.164/asimagelib'
>gcc -O2  -Wall  -I/usr/X11R6/include     -c as_png.c
>as_png.c:41: X11/xpm.h: No such file or directory
>as_png.c:49: png.h: No such file or directory
>make[1]: *** [as_png.o] Error 1
>(same error repeated many times for other dirs, all the modules, etc)
>
>I didn't have any problems compiling 1.7.161 though.  Any ideas?
>
>Mikko

I have found, for pretty much the entire 1.7.x series, that the configure
script refuses to find the libs and headers for jpeg and png even though they
reside in /usr/include and /usr/lib.  This occurs on both a RH5.2 system at
work and my Debian potato system at home.

Just use the configure flags "--with-png-includes=" "--with-png-libraries="
and so forth.  Be sure to also use the "--with-xpm-****" flags as well.  This
fixes the problem for me.

--John Gruenenfelder    Research Assistant, Steward Observatory, U of Arizona
Elrond, Duke of URL     http://www.azstarnet.com/~elrond
elrond@azstarnet.com    johng@bach.as.arizona.edu
of my enemies!"
        --Sam of Sam & Max