Re: big problems running AfterStep-1.7.164 on DU 6.0D

Ethan (allanon@crystaltokyo.com)
Thu, 13 Jan 2000 16:21:29 -0800 (PST)

On Thu, 13 Jan 2000, Mark T. Logan wrote:

> After a long and hard fought battle, I have built AfterStep on digital
> unix 6.0D.  However, when it runs, winlist and pager crash almost
> immediately, and none of the windows (root or otherwise) respond to any
> mouse clicks.  Wharf also does not respond to any mouse clicks, but it at
> least doesn't crash.

If it's not too much to ask, could you send a description of what you
needed to do to get AS to compile on Digital UNIX?  I don't know of anyone
else who has compiled AS on that platform, and your experiences may be
of use to anyone who decides to try.

> Is my issue the result of an incorrectly configured binary or does
> afterstep simply not coexist with DU?

A good question.  Do you get any runtime errors on console and/or in log
files?  AfterStep 1.7.x modules can be run from the command line, so if
you have gdb and configure AS with --enable-gdb, it should be possible
to get a backtrace of the program stack at the point of failure:

$ gdb WinList
> run
> backtrace

----