Re: TEST: Has the list died again?

Sasha_Vasko@osca.state.mo.us
Mon, 24 Jan 2000 11:33:56 -0600

>Andrew Sullivan <asullivan@sprint.ca> wrote on Mon, 24 Jan 2000:
>> Some weeks ago, I posted a report of being unable to compile AS 1.7.142 with
>> all patches (= 1.7.164) on my Debian 2.2 box.  I included the output that I
>> thought relevant.  I wondered if this was unique to me, or if anyone else
>> has had similar ptoblems.

>I'm running Debian 2.1, but I also can't get AfterStep to compile on
>that.  It's a server box so I wouldn't really be running AS on it, but
>regardless I'd expect it to compile (yes it has X installed)...

>Details:

>./configure runs cleanly, though it complains about lack of jpeg and
>png libraries.

>The errors I get are:

>make[1]: Entering directory
>`/home/wizard/src/AfterStep-1.7.164.castle/asimagelib'
>gcc -O2  -Wall  -I/usr/X11R6/include     -c as_png.c
>as_png.c:41: X11/xpm.h: No such file or directory
>make[1]: *** [as_png.o] Error 1
><...>
>make[1]: Entering directory
>`/home/wizard/src/AfterStep-1.7.164.castle/src/afterstep'
>gcc -O2  -Wall  -I/usr/X11R6/include     -c configure.c
>In file included from configure.c:67:
>../../include/afterstep.h:171: parse error before `XSizeHints'
>../../include/afterstep.h:171: warning: no semicolon at end of struct or union

I don't really have much knowledge of Debian, and allanon would be a more
knowledgeble person to comment on this one, but from the errors you posted
it looks like you do not have some X header files installed, or they are
installed
in some non-standard location (default is /usr/X11R6/include as you may gather
from
errors ). I presume that Debian does the same thing as RedHat - wich is
splitting
development and standard libraries into two different packages. Please check
with Debian docs in what package you have development headers and libraries for
and make sure you have these packages installed.

>Mikko

Cheers
Sasha