Re: AfterStep for two users?

Andrew Sullivan (asullivan@sprint.ca)
Tue, 4 Jan 2000 08:05:31 -0500

On Tue, Jan 04, 2000 at 09:28:16AM +0100, Iwant Afterstep wrote:

>      I already have AfterStep 1.7* installed.  It is installed for an
> "ordinary" user -- not for root.

I'm not sure I understand what you did.  Did you just install AS according
to the usual procedures?  If so, you don't need to "install" it again; you
just need to put in a call to afterstep in your .xinitrc or .xsession file.

> When I try to start Xwindows as this user I get a lot
> of error messages about ".Xauthority hostname lookup failure" and "timeout
> in locking authority file" -- but no Xwindows.

Hmm.  Maybe try postng your ~/.xinitrc here.

> Since I can't reach any way to give commands I see no alternative at
> this stage but to use to power button to turn off the computer.  This is
> less than completely satisfactory

_There's_ an understatement!  Usually, by the way, you can recover from the
situation you're describing by hitting Ctl-Alt-backspace.  Anyway, whet
you're getting there is X without a window manager (X just provides the
basic functionality of drawing windows, &c; the actual management of those
windows is left to the window manager.  This is a bit of a pig, but it is
the reason that users get to have som much control over their desktops.)

----
Andrew Sullivan | asullivan@sprint.ca (home)| sullivana@bpl.on.ca (work)
                              * * *
What if the Hokey Pokey really is what it's all about?
                                --seen on a t-shirt from NPR