Re: AfterStep for two users?

Iwant Afterstep (iwantafterstep@hotmail.com)
Wed, 05 Jan 2000 13:48:43 CET

X-as-users-dont-resend

On Tue, Jan 04, 2000 Andrew Sullivan wrote:

>I'm not sure I understand what you did.  Did you just install AS according
>to the usual procedures?  If so, you don't need to "install" it again; you
>just need to put in a call to afterstep in your .xinitrc or .xsession file.

     The system I installed it on was Linux Mandrake (6.1).  This already
comes with a version of AfterStep preinstalled (1.6 I think).  The
preinstalled version of AfterStep is in the /usr/X11R6/share/afterstep
directory however, and I had been told that I should create and install
AfterStep in /home/myusername/GNUstep/Library/AfterStep.  That is the way I
did it when I installed it the first time.  I created a directory called
"GNUstep," another called "Library," and so on, and finally I rpmd the
latest rpm version of AfterStep in the final directory.  This works fine
(except that most things in the menues are "double" -- there are two of most
items in the menues.  I suspect this may be because the old version of
AfterStep is still there in the /usr/X11R6/share/afterstep directory.)

     What I did was therefore exactly the same thing again.  I created a new
user and in this nes user's home directory I created the
GNUstep/Library/AfterStep directories, and placed the rpm in the final
directory and gave the rpm -i AfterStep* command again -- just like I had
done for the first user.  This time it didn't work however.  Instead I
received error messages, for instance about AfterStep already being
installed -- which of course it was, but not in that directory.

     I don't know if this is the correct way to install AfterStep, but it is
the only one I know about that works.  Before I learned of this method I had
tried several other methods which didn't work.

> > When I try to start Xwindows as this user I get a lot
> > of error messages about ".Xauthority hostname lookup failure" and
>"timeout
> > in locking authority file" -- but no Xwindows.
>
>Hmm.  Maybe try postng your ~/.xinitrc here.

     Do you mean that I should send a copy of my .xinitrc file to the list?
That is easy -- it only says "exec afterstep."

> > Since I can't reach any way to give commands I see no alternative at
> > this stage but to use to power button to turn off the computer.  This is
> > less than completely satisfactory
>
>_There's_ an understatement!  Usually, by the way, you can recover from the
>situation you're describing by hitting Ctl-Alt-backspace.

     Thank you.  I didn't know that.

>Anyway, whet you're getting there is X without a window manager

     Yes, that is what I suspected.  It was pretty useless without a window
manager.

    Thank you for your help.