Re: AfterStep for two users?

Iwant Afterstep (iwantafterstep@hotmail.com)
Wed, 05 Jan 2000 13:52:01 CET

X-as-users-dont-resend

On Tue, 4 Jan 2000, Kalen Honeyfield wrote:

>I hate rpms. Not because it is some great big horrible beasty thing, or
>just something to say. (poking for at a certian Sediment) I hate them
>because they always seem to be compiled agaist Libs I don't have and can't
>find. So if I ever have trouble installing via rpm I switch to the Source.
>Not to ramble on and no I don't think doing that would solve your problems
>but maybe after you've hashed out the other issues you could keep that in
>mind.

     I will have that in mind.  The problem is that I am so completely new
to the Linux/Unix world that most of those things that probably seem
self-evident and childishly easy to you, are things I as yet know nothing
about.  The only things I have compiled as yet was a couple of libs, with
help from a Unix teacher, and even then I failed miserably.  The prospect of
compiling AfterStep does not seem very attractive until I have learned a lot
more about what to do when things don't work out the way they are supposed
to.  The reason I use rpms is that at least I know how to install things
with rpm (or I thought I knew).  If there is a good instruction somewhere
for complete newbie morons on how to compile software, I would be very
interested in hearing about it.

>First you really shouldn't be hammering the system with a hard P/O.

     Is "a hard P/O" when I turned the computer off with the power button?
I assure you that I would not have done this if I had seen any other
alternative.  There was no way to give any commands to the computer.  All
that was on the screen was a big "X" which I could move around with the
mouse.  There was no way to make a console appear -- at least no way that I
could find.

>I mean fsck is fun but really how much fun can it be?

     I don't know what a "fsck" is.

>If you want to exit X
>without any commands from within a window manager try Ctrl-Alt-Backspace.
>That should kill the xsession. I hope this helps.

     I didn't know that.  That should help.  Thank you.