Re: AfterStep for two users?

Iwant Afterstep (iwantafterstep@hotmail.com)
Wed, 05 Jan 2000 14:29:47 CET

X-as-users-dont-resend

Tue, 04 Jan 2000 Jeff wrote:

>Personaly I would save any modifed files , remove AS

     When you say "remove AS," do you mean "rm -r
~/GNUstep/Library/AfterStep ?  In that case I would lose the theme as well,
since that is in a subdirectory of the ~/GNUstep/Library/AfterStep
directory.  Is there some way to remove AfterStep but leave the theme
intact?

>and then su to root and do
>the RPM thing to install AS where it should be

     That's the problem.  I don't know where AfterStep should be.  I thought
it should be where I had put it.

>then you should have only one instance of AS around

     The version in /usr/X11R6/share/afterstep seems to remain, even after
an rpm installation.  I guess I could do rm -r /usr/X11R6/share/afterstep,
but I don't dare do this until I know that I won't be causing even more
trouble by doing so.

>Then look for a .wm_style or a .xinitrc file in each users home directory
>and if not there make a .xinitrc file and put the name of the wm you want
>to run

     The .xinitrc file does not exist by default in Linux Mandrake.  I have
created such a file containing only the line "exec afterstep" for the first
user in whose directory I installed AfterStep, and this works just fine, but
it does not work for the other user for which I have done exactly the same.

>for that user in there and you should be set
>Then you can import your saved file to the home dr of your choice
>Have fun

             Thank you for your help.