Re: AfterStep for two users?

Donald A. Peterson (donald@nd.edu)
Wed, 5 Jan 2000 10:18:58 -0500 (EST)

X-as-users-dont-resend

> directory however, and I had been told that I should create and install
> AfterStep in /home/myusername/GNUstep/Library/AfterStep.  That is the way I
> did it when I installed it the first time.  I created a directory called
> "GNUstep," another called "Library," and so on, and finally I rpmd the
> latest rpm version of AfterStep in the final directory.  This works fine
> (except that most things in the menues are "double" -- there are two of most
> items in the menues.  I suspect this may be because the old version of
> AfterStep is still there in the /usr/X11R6/share/afterstep directory.)

The doubled menus are almost certainly due to having 2 versions of afterstep
installed and whichever version you're currently running is also including the
menu items of the other.

You've done OK, but I think you've gotten confused by a couple of
things---it took me awhile to get the zen of The RPM Way, and as someone
else pointed out, it isn't always bulletproof and compiling from source may
be "better".  One thing about RPM, it seems, is that it doesn't matter where
the .rpm file sits or where you are when the command is issued.  The rpm
will install the packages where it wants.  To see this, type: "rpm -qpl
<foo.whatever.rpm>" The q queries, the p says it's in a package format (not
installed), the l lists what will files will be installed.  The rpm man page
is actually quite good as man pages go...

Incidentally, a better way to install rpms (IMHO) is with rpm -U instead of
rpm -i.  The -U will "update", removing any files from an older version
before installing---this can help avoid the problems of double
installations.  I also like to add the options "v" and "h" to make sure
everything goes right and see some progress:  "rpm -Uvh foo.bar.rpm"

>      What I did was therefore exactly the same thing again.  I created a new
> user and in this nes user's home directory I created the
> GNUstep/Library/AfterStep directories, and placed the rpm in the final
> directory and gave the rpm -i AfterStep* command again -- just like I had
> done for the first user.  This time it didn't work however.  Instead I
> received error messages, for instance about AfterStep already being
> installed -- which of course it was, but not in that directory> .

Right.  Hopefully you now know why.

> > > When I try to start Xwindows as this user I get a lot
> > > of error messages about ".Xauthority hostname lookup failure" and
> >"timeout
> > > in locking authority file" -- but no Xwindows.
> >
> >Hmm.  Maybe try postng your ~/.xinitrc here.>
> >

>      Do you mean that I should send a copy of my .xinitrc file to the list?
> That is easy -- it only says "exec afterstep."

Mine simply says "afterstep".  Some silly questions:
1) Do both you and the "new user" have identical .xinitrc files?
2) Do both you and the "new user" belong to the same group (i.e. have the
   same file permissions)  Run linuxconf and look in user accounts to check
   this.
3) Do you have a newline or carriage return at the end of the line saying
   "exec afterstep"?  Open the .xinitrc file in your favorite text editor.
   Can you move the cursor to the line below it?

"Iwant Afterstep" continued on...

> >Personaly I would save any modifed files , remove A> S
>
>      When you say "remove AS," do you mean "rm -r
> ~/GNUstep/Library/AfterStep ?  In that case I would lose the theme as well,
> since that is in a subdirectory of the ~/GNUstep/Library/AfterStep
> directory.  Is there some way to remove AfterStep but leave the theme
> intact?

I would do two things since you quite possibly have two aftersteps installed
(both by rpm, I presume).  Find out exactly what afterstep(s) is(are)
installed by using the rpm query:
       "rpm -qa | grep -i afterstep"
Let's suppose it returned AfterStep-1.6.  Then to remove we use:
       "rpm -e AfterStep-1.6"
Repeat for any and all responses to the above grep.

> >and then su to root and do
> >the RPM thing to install AS where it should be
>
>      That's the problem.  I don't know where AfterStep should be.  I thought
> it should be where I had put it.

As mentioned before RPM will put it where _it_ wants to be (or more
precisely, where the person who made the RPM wants it to be) regardless of
where you are.

Once you've cleaned house with the rpm -e commands above, try re-installing
your version via rpm -U and see what happens.

> >then you should have only one instance of AS aroun> d
>
>      The version in /usr/X11R6/share/afterstep seems to remain, even after
> an rpm installation.  I guess I could do rm -r /usr/X11R6/share/afterstep,
> but I don't dare do this until I know that I won't be causing even more
> trouble by doing so> .

Right.  If you commit to doing things the RPM Way, rpm -e is the way to
remove rather than rm -r.  That's a scary command to start throwing
around---esp. for "root".

> >Then look for a .wm_style or a .xinitrc file in each users home directory
> >and if not there make a .xinitrc file and put the name of the wm you want
> >to run
>
>      The .xinitrc file does not exist by default in Linux Mandrake.  I have
> created such a file containing only the line "exec afterstep" for the first
> user in whose directory I installed AfterStep, and this works just fine, but
> it does not work for the other user for which I have done exactly the same.

Perhaps this new user does not have afterstep in their path?  Login as the
new user and type "which afterstep".  Another possibly interesting exercise
would be to type "echo $path" both as yourself and the new user and look for
differences.

If nothing pops out at you, AS is _incredibly_ well-managed and compiling
from the source is as easy as:
1) tar xvzf AfterStep-version.tgz
2) cd AfterStep-version
3) ./configure;make;make install

Hope this helps and wasn't just long-winded...
-Don