Re: Only one Pager?

Julian M Catchen (topeka@psu.edu)
Wed, 09 Feb 2000 09:59:45 -0500 (EST)

Actually you do need to edit the base* files.  There is one base file for each
color depth of your computer, 8 bits per pixel, 16 bpp, 24 and 32.  You only
need to edit the one that is at the color depth your X server is running at
(or if you don't know the colordepth, edit them all).

However, the base* files determine how many physical pagers are running,
default is 4, and how large they are displayed.   The Pager config file only
configures pagers themselves, things such as how many panes an individual pager
has.  I think default is 4x4.  You can alter this by changing *Pagercolumns.

If a user does not have his own copy of the Afterstep config files in ~G/L/A,
then he is using the system defaults located (usually) in
/usr/local/share/afterstep.

julian

On 09-Feb-00 Frederick Bruckman wrote:
> On Wed, 9 Feb 2000, Iwant Afterstep wrote:
>
>>      Four Pagers is three more than I need.  I would like to get rid of the
>> ?WWW,? the ?Mail,? and the ?Games? Pagers, and leave only the ?Work? Pager
>> -- but I would like to get rid of the label "Work" as well, if possible,
>> leaving only the basic Pager itself, without any label.  As far as I
>> understand, I am supposed to configure a file called "base.#bpp" in some
>> manner.  The problem is that one of my users using AfterStep has six files
>> with that name in his home directory, and another user using AfterStep has
>> NO files by that name in his directory.
>>
>>      It seems unlikely that I should have to modify six different files just
>> to get rid of the extra Pagers, so which one is it?  And for the user
>> without a "base.#bpp" file, how do I get rid of the extra Pagers for him?
>> All he has in his ~/GNUstep/Library/AfterStep library is a directory named
>> "non-configurable," and there is no file named "base.#bpp" in that directory
>> either.  I am grateful for all help.   /Ian
>
> Actually, the base.##bpp set paths for Icon files, so you don't need
> to touch those unless you want to use non-standard icons. The Pager
> config file is called "pager". Tell your users to copy the system
> /usr/X11R6/share/afterstep/pager to ~/G/L/A/ and edit it--the syntax
> is self-explanatory, then to kill and restart the Pager from the
> "Modules" menu.

| j.  m.  c  a  t  c  h  e  n  -  p  s  u, p  a |
| t o p e k a    a t    p s u    d o t    e d u |
| w w w.p e r s o n a l.p s u.e d u/j m c 2 5 2 |
| d a t e:  09-Feb-00        t i m e:  09:51:29 |