Re: Only one Pager?

David Mihm (dmihm@rchitecture.com)
Wed, 9 Feb 2000 12:54:30 -0600 (CST)

On Wed, 9 Feb 2000, Julian M Catchen wrote:

>Actually you do need to edit the base* files.  There is one base file for each
>color depth of your computer, 8 bits per pixel, 16 bpp, 24 and 32.  You only
>need to edit the one that is at the color depth your X server is running at
>(or if you don't know the colordepth, edit them all).
>
>However, the base* files determine how many physical pagers are running,
>default is 4, and how large they are displayed.   The Pager config file only
>configures pagers themselves, things such as how many panes an individual pager
>has.  I think default is 4x4.  You can alter this by changing *Pagercolumns.

	Conceptually you are correct, however semantically you are
incorrect; and with regards to the answer to the question of the poster,
you are way off. :)
	Pager is one program, if you run multiple Pager, you run multiple
programs.  One running Pager has Desks (the things with the lables) and
then Views of those desks (if you see the Desk split up by lines).  The
base.<colordepth>bpp file controls an individual Pagers' DeskTopSize and
DeskTopScale.
	DeskTopSize "[ref: man page] Defines the number of view Columns by
	the number of view  Rows  of  the  desk(s) in proportional units,
	i.e. 2x1 would show 2 views of one desk, one beside another."

	DeskTopScale scales the size of the entire Pager.

	From our humorous hotmail.com user, he wishes to only run one
Desk, without the label; saying nothing of liking the number of views that
one desk will have or not.  So editing the base.<colordepth>bpp file would
not enter into the picture here.

	I hope this has cleared up the sometimes confusing Pager
semantics.

|     dmihm  @  rchitecture.com                reboot universe(y,n)? |
|     dmihm  @  swbell.net                                           |
| webmaster  @  afterstep.org                             ICQ:906859 |