Re: Installation on Solaris: a trivial question

Albert Dorofeev (albert@tigr.net)
Thu, 17 Feb 2000 14:44:39 +0100

On Wed, Feb 16, 2000 at 04:49:06PM -0800, Kuan Ju Liu wrote:
> I'm trying to install AS on a shiny new Ultra 5 (running Solaris) which
> already has a embarrasingly old 1.0pre2 version of AS installed. The
> installation seems to go find, but the trouble is that a newer binary of
> afterstep refuses to install, or perhaps I can't find it. I am NOT
> installing as root.
>
> 	Do I have to tell my sysadmin to remove the old AS (and how would
> he go about this?), or is there an alternative?

Not necessarily. You probably configured AS using
./configure --prefix=/path/to/new/afterstep
and therefore AS should install there all the binaries
and stuff. (I would recommend creating directories
bin, share, man in there beforehand, I do not know
if this bug was fixed already) Then you just insert
the full path to new AS into your .xinit or .xsession
file - whichever you are using instead of just
saying 'exec afterstep' and relying on your PATH.

--
Albert Dorofeev (Tigr) - albert at tigr.net - http://www.tigr.net/
PGP fingerprint = C9 49 D0 F3 41 FA 8C D8  E9 5C 6A D4 F1 6D 65 15