Re: Afterstep not working with Gnome

Doug Alcorn (doug@lathi.net)
27 Apr 2000 22:45:13 -0400

Coplan <coplan@ns2.wolvendar.net> writes:

> I really only want to use gfm (I think that's what it's called, the file
> manager with desktop icons) -- not the panels. In that situation, would
> I still need to run the gnome-session, or is there a safe productive way
> to run the file manager without the rest of gnome?  Otherwise, the only
> other thing I use Gnome for are the games, and they don't need the entire
> environment.

The package is gmc (Gnome Midnight Commander).  What I would do is
just start gmc from your autoexec and start afterstep directly from
your .xsession/.xinitrc/.Xclients (whichever you use).  IMHO,
gnome-session is evil.  Your autoexec should be located in your
~/GNUstep/Library/Afterstep directory.  If it's not, copy
/usr/share/afterstep or /usr/local/share/afterstep.
--
 (__)  Doug Alcorn          | program == list of computer instructions
 oo /  doug@lathi.net       | firmware == program that is not user modifiable