Voting on Reply-To (Was: mailing list questions)

Doug Alcorn (doug@lathi.net)
14 May 2000 04:20:36 -0400

ishamael@themes.org writes:

> about this reply to thing, i still dont understand why..... its so annoying
> to hit reply-to-all, then delete the senders addy just to get it replying
> to the list.  what _benifits_ do we gain by replying to the sender?
> it was sent to the list, it should be replyed to the list.

Some (most?) email clients do not provide any mechanism for replying
to the sender if the reply-to field has been munged.  I guess that's
what it all comes down to.  If the reply-to is set to the list, then
there is no way to actually send a message to the actual sender.

There is also a possibility of mail-looping.  If someone on the list
has a vacation message set, it could trigger an infinite loop and kill
my mail server.  That's what happened over Christmas when the list got
hammered.  However, I have since learned how to trap for that.
Mail-looping isn't really an issue any more.

Seeing the volumn of subscribe and unsubscribe messages, it is true
that the list has had some turn-over.  It is possible that the list
constituents would have a different preference now than before.  The
last vote _was_ close.

*** Important Part ***

So, I will hold another vote and make changes accordingly.  Send me
email to doug@lathi.net.  Make the subject either 'set reply to list'
or 'set reply to sender'.  The last vote did not produce many votes.
I think the total was less than %30 of the subscribers.

*** Important Part ***
--
 (__)  Doug Alcorn          | program == list of computer instructions
 oo /  doug@lathi.net       | firmware == program that is not user modifiable