Re: AS and Openinux 2.3

kchoney@epix.net
Tue, 16 May 2000 12:23:27 -0400 (EDT)

Dear lord a real on topic question!

Well, I'm going to assume that you are trying to install AS via an rpm you
pulled off some site. I would recomend that you go back to said site and
acquire the gziped tar ball of the source code. And compile AS yourself. I
had the exact same problem a few months back. Who ever built the rpm has
some libs that I haven't been able to find either. Once you have pulled
the *.tar.gz do this:

In what ever directory you want it in (/usr/local/src)

tar -zxvf AfterStep-1.8.0.tar.gz

That will open it and you should now have a afterstep directory in front
of you. Enter the AS directory. You will also want the 1.8.1 patch. It is
on the AS ftp site. Put it in you AS directory that was just created.

patch -p 1 put-the-name-of-the-patch-file-here

Now just:

./configure
make
su root
make install

If you did not wish to have a System wide install, or your SysAdmin is a
door nob, and won't let you, then you will have to follow the directions,
in the INSTALL file, on how to get AS runnning. Then edit your .xinitrc to
reflect the fact that you want AS as your window manager. Or add AS to
kdm's list of WM's.(I only say that because as I remember the last time I
used OpenLinux it defaulted to kdm on startup)

At this point I must release you back into the wild. If I have lead you
down the wrong path I hope the other "Game Wardens" will be so kind as to
point that out. Assuming they can stop bickering long enough to read this
email.

On Tue, 16 May 2000, Stephane CRUVEILLER wrote:

> Hi,
> I would like to install AS on my Openlinux 2.3 but apparently I can't
> because the libjpeg.62.0 is missing. I have searched everywhere to find
> it (even on the ftp site of caldera).
> Any hints will be welcome.....
> Thanx.
> Steph@ne.