Re: Solaris problems?

Ethan (allanon@crystaltokyo.com)
Fri, 19 May 2000 15:31:23 -0700 (PDT)

On Fri, 19 May 2000, Patrick Tully wrote:

> Hi I just installed and ran afterstep (v1.8.0) on Solaris.  Set it up
> and it seemed to run fine at first.
> So created the themes directory as in the directions, and downloaded
> several themes into the directory.  Restarted the start menu (and all),
> and it seemed to start doing something, but then the screen would get
> totaly screwed up (buttons and windows became all white, and the
> background was realy messed up).  Now it didn't look anything like the
> theme.  Also, I tried just chaning the default background to one of the
> ones in the default menu, and the same thing happened.  Now I have an
> ultra 60 with a 3d creator card, so I should be able to handle 24bit,
> but am i missing something, maybe a libray or something?  Any ideas would
> be appreciated.  Thanks!

AfterStep uses the default visual associated with the default screen on
the requested display (ie, whatever DefaultVisual(dpy, DefaultScreen (dpy))
returns).  It does not search for a high bit-depth visual.  Perhaps there's
some way to set the default visual for your X server?

----
Ethan Fischer
allanon@crystaltokyo.com
http://members.xoom.com/allanon1