Re: AfterStep in distributions

Andrew Sullivan (sullivana@bpl.on.ca)
Wed, 7 Jun 2000 16:35:40 -0400

On Wed, Jun 07, 2000 at 03:17:36PM -0400, charlie schmidt wrote:

> Distribution			Version
> ------------			-------
> Debian "unstable"               Afterstep 1.6.10
> Debian "stable"                 AfterStep 1.4.5.3

> As one might gather from these results, Slackware, Suse, and Debian
> are the most mainstream of the distributions not shipping with
> a stable version, and are, so to speak, most at fault.  Especially
> Debian, with its so called up to date package system.

Well, you're not really being fair there to Debian, as the "stable" version
is Debian 2.1, and was frozen during the 1.4.x cycle.  And the package
management _is_ up-to-date, but the packages themselves can only be as
up-to-date as the maintainer makes them.

Debian is currently in freeze, and so 1.8.x will not make the release of
potato.  Freeze for Debian means just that: only bugs above a certain
severity get fixed before the release gets promoted to "stable".  That said,
AS does not seem to have been upgraded in quite some time, and as they ship
both E and WM (which are both devel-stage wms in my view), there's no reason
why potato should not have shipped with a late 1.7.x package (or possibly a
choice of 1.6.x and 1.7.x).  1.8 should probably be in the unstable tree,
and it isn't.

I mailed the package maintainer earlier today to see if he's still active
with the package.  If not, and no-one else volunteers, I will.  (I'm a fool,
but at least that's an easier thing to do than keep up with documentation
changes!)

Andrew Sullivan                                      Computer Services
<sullivana@bpl.on.ca>                        Burlington Public Library
+1 905 639 3611 x158                                   2331 New Street
                                   Burlington, Ontario, Canada L7R 1J4