Re: AfterStep in distributions

Niklas Lunger (niklas@gandalf.oead.ac.at)
Thu, 8 Jun 2000 13:31:16 +0200 (CEST)

On Wed, 7 Jun 2000, Andrew Sullivan wrote:

i would like to help any efforts to make afterstep 1.8.x a debian package
and keep afterstep*.deb up to date, but as i don't really have much time
it would be nice to do this work with 1 or 2 other persons...

and of course it would be nice if all afterstep packages for all distros
could be available on the afterstep site (download section). what do the
maintainers of the official afterstep site say about that ?

> > Distribution			Version
> > ------------			-------
> > Debian "unstable"               Afterstep 1.6.10
> > Debian "stable"                 AfterStep 1.4.5.3
>
> > As one might gather from these results, Slackware, Suse, and Debian
> > are the most mainstream of the distributions not shipping with
> > a stable version, and are, so to speak, most at fault.  Especially
> > Debian, with its so called up to date package system.
>
> Well, you're not really being fair there to Debian, as the "stable" version
> is Debian 2.1, and was frozen during the 1.4.x cycle.  And the package
> management _is_ up-to-date, but the packages themselves can only be as
> up-to-date as the maintainer makes them.
>
> Debian is currently in freeze, and so 1.8.x will not make the release of
> potato.  Freeze for Debian means just that: only bugs above a certain
> severity get fixed before the release gets promoted to "stable".  That said,
> AS does not seem to have been upgraded in quite some time, and as they ship
> both E and WM (which are both devel-stage wms in my view), there's no reason
> why potato should not have shipped with a late 1.7.x package (or possibly a
> choice of 1.6.x and 1.7.x).  1.8 should probably be in the unstable tree,
> and it isn't.
>
> I mailed the package maintainer earlier today to see if he's still active
> with the package.  If not, and no-one else volunteers, I will.  (I'm a fool,
> but at least that's an easier thing to do than keep up with documentation
> changes!)

greats
	Niklas Lunger