[david@burdell.org: Re: [M.Vitecek@sh.cvut.cz: Re: [info@slackware.com: Re: [ishamael@themes.org: AfterStep package]]]]

Bryan Strawser (feanor@gondolin.org)
Sat, 24 Jun 2000 11:00:48 -0400

Here's the scoop on AS v1.8 for Slackware 7.1...

Bryan

----- Forwarded message from David Cantrell <david@burdell.org> -----

From: David Cantrell <david@burdell.org>
Date: Mon, 19 Jun 2000 21:30:04 -0400 (EDT)
To: Bryan Strawser <feanor@gondolin.org>
Subject: Re: [M.Vitecek@sh.cvut.cz: Re: [info@slackware.com: Re:
 [ishamael@themes.org: AfterStep package]]]

Hey, I remember that email.  :)

It's probably too late for me to toss the new AfterStep package in
/contrib (we've already released Slackware 7.1 BETA 1), but I do have it
slated for inclusion on disc 4.

It *IS* on my todo list of packages to add to /contrib, but it kinda
slipped away as more important things had higher priority.

I meant nothing against the current AfterStep, if that's the way it came
across.  I've been a longtime user and advocate of AfterStep (though I've
moved to Window Maker on my own machine :/ ).

So for this upcoming release of Slackware, we have the source for AS 1.8
on disc4, but there isn't a package in /contrib.  I'll work one up for the
next release.  Keep your eyes out on the next -current tree (not sure when
that will apppear).

Thanks for catching me on this one.  :)

(This doesn't mean I'm getting rid of 1.0.  I'll just add another package
with the latest version.  There seems to be a large crowd that likes the
older 1

(This doesn't mean I'm getting rid of 1.0.  I'll just add another package
with the latest version.  There seems to be a large crowd that likes the
older 1.0 version.)

On Mon, 19 Jun 2000, Bryan Strawser wrote:

>David,
>
>Should you shed some light on this one?
>
>Thanks for your efforts with Slackware...
>Bryan
>

>----- Forwarded message from Michal Vitecek <M.Vitecek@sh.cvut.cz> -----
>
>From: Michal Vitecek <M.Vitecek@sh.cvut.cz>
>Date: Mon, 19 Jun 2000 18:12:39 +0200
>To: as-users@afterstep.org
>Subject: Re: [info@slackware.com: Re: [ishamael@themes.org: AfterStep package]]
>
> some months ago i contacted directly p. volkerding and afterstep's
> maintainer david@slackware.com (sorry, can't remember his name). he told
> me that he preferred AS 1.0 and as such he wasn't going to add the newer
> version of AS to the upcoming slackware version though i was counting the
> pluses of the new AS :/
>
>Bryan Strawser <feanor@gondolin.org> wrote:
>>Response I received from the Slackware Developers..
>>
>>Bryan
>>
>>----- Forwarded message from Slackware Information <info@slackware.com> -----
>>
>>From: Slackware Information <info@slackware.com>
>>Date: Sat, 10 Jun 2000 23:21:36 -0700 (PDT)
>>To: Bryan Strawser <feanor@gondolin.org>
>>Subject: Re: [ishamael@themes.org: AfterStep package]
>>
>>On Wed, 7 Jun 2000, Bryan Strawser wrote:
>>
>>> Are there any plans to create an updated AfterStep package?,
>>> as the window manager is at version 1.8.1 now  If not, would
>>> the developers accept a package created by the AfterStep
>>> community?
>>
>>There haven't been such plans, but we will take a look at it, as it's now
>>being requested... We packed up Afterstep 1.0 and included it because it was
>>the last version we really liked, and no-one had said anything one way or
>>another.  (Of course, that was at least a year ago..)
>>
>>> I must also note that, while it is not incredibly important
>>> wherethe package is placed, that some window managers are
>>> placed in gtk1/, others in x1/ and still others in
>>> contrib/ ?  Is there a reason behind this, or has it just
>>> been an oversight?  It makes more sense, to me at least, to
>>> put them all in x1/, or perhaps xap1/.
>>
>>For the most part, window managers are placed where their supporting libraries
>>and programs also belong.  Unless we change the organization of our whole tree,
>>that's not likely to change.
>>

>>   Slackware Linux Project | info@slackware.com
>>
>>----- End forwarded message -----
>>
>>--
>>- Bryan Strawser, feanor@gondolin.org

>--
>			fuf
>

>------------------------------ na IRC -------------------------------------
> BillGates [bgates@www.microsoft.com] has joined #LINUX
> mode/#linux [+b BillGates!*@*] by DoDad
> BillGates was kicked off #linux by DoDad (banned: We see enough of Bill
>          Gates already.)

>----- End forwarded message -----
>
>--
>- Bryan Strawser, feanor@gondolin.org

--
David Cantrell     |  reboot(8) on SunOS 4.1.3
david@burdell.org  |   -n   Avoid the sync(1).  It can be used if a

----- End forwarded message -----

--
- Bryan Strawser, feanor@gondolin.org