Re: Compile problems on a solaris

Stephen Williams (stephen@reynolds.ph.man.ac.uk)
Tue, 27 Jun 2000 13:03:44 +0100 (BST)

On Mon, 26 Jun 2000, Michael Hartman wrote:

> So I go to compile the source code myself and run into more problems:
>
> 1) All the .depend files have extra "\" characters in them. Here is an
> example
>
> ./catstring3.o: \
>          ../configure.h \
>          ../include/aftersteplib.h \
>
> ./copystring.o: \   # rest of file.....

Yes I had the same problem when I was using Solaris and ended up editing
all of the .depend files.  You need to remove both the '\' character *and*
the new line character that follows it.  I seem to remember this is the
hack that I used, ( I now use Linux and could not retest this
completely)

in your AfterStep source directory with the original .depend files first
run

find . -name .depend -exec mv "{}" "{}".old \;

to move the .depends files out of the way and then

find . -name .depend.old -printf "nawk -f awkfile.awk  %p >
%h/.depend\n" | sh

to produce the .depend files that make needs.

The awkfile.awk just contains the following lines

{
        if(match(":",$1)) printf "\n%s", $1
        else    printf" %s ", $1
}

I hope that helps. Anyway the problem is that some versions of make that
come with Solaris seem not to understand that the '\' character should
escape a newline. I am guessing this is a bug in those versions and not an
AfterStep problem.