Re: aspostit install errors

David Mihm (dmihm@rchitecture.com)
Tue, 4 Jul 2000 18:44:35 -0500 (CDT)

On Tue, 4 Jul 2000, Oliver L. Plaine Jr. wrote:

> Hello, .... I am attempting to figure out what is going wrong with my
> "aspostit" installation.  from a /home directory appletech]$ tar -xvf
> ./"aspostit-1_3_tar(1).gz"
>
> I tried to run it with the script:
>
> [olly@localhost appletech]$ aspostit-1.3/install.script

	You _must_ run the install.script from within the aspostit
directory thusly -> ./install.script ; other wise when it looks for
'./configure', it's not found in the curent directory, as you found out
below.  I will point out that the INSTALL file states to do an
'./install.script'; this should have clued you in to needing to be in the
correct directory.

>  aspostit-1.3/install.script: ./configure: No such file or
> directory make: *** No targets.  Stop.
>
> so...I tried to install it manually:
>
> [olly@localhost appletech]$ aspostit-1.3/configure
> creating cache ./config.cache
> checking for gcc... gcc
> checking whether the C compiler (gcc  ) works... yes
> checking whether the C compiler (gcc  ) is a cross-compiler...no
> creating Makefile
> creating config.h

	The 'no' lines to configure, which have been snipped, are fine;
_unless_ configure stops with an error.  Most README/INSTALL's inform you
of what othe libs, etc you need to compile things.

> AfterStep applet aspostit-1.3 is now hopefully configured, just run :
> make ; make install
>
> I tried the make:
> [olly@localhost appletech]$ make ; make install
> make: *** No rule to make target `list.o', needed by `aspostit'.
> Stop.
> make: *** No rule to make target `list.o', needed by `aspostit'.
> Stop.

	And _again_ you _must_ run the make and the make install within
the directory.  How is make going to know what you need to make if you are
_not_ in the directory with the Makefile, eh?

> So for the time being I appear to be stopped? I need a rule but
> don't know where? This is my first time to try to do a tar
> install; although I once did a flawless RPM 8-).

	As a side note, please, please, please write in complete
paragraphs with the lines wrapped at 72 columns.  I don't know if you can
tell but this mail has had every line editied to fit within your screen.
Stay tuned for the FBI warning ...

HTH