Re: aspostit install errors

Oliver L. Plaine Jr. (ollyplaine@worldnet.att.net)
Tue, 04 Jul 2000 21:41:18 -0500

On Tue, 4 Jul 2000 18:44:35 -0500 (CDT), David wrote:
>	You _must_ run the install.script from within the aspostit
>directory thusly -> ./install.script ; other wise when it looks for
>'./configure', it's not found in the curent directory, as you found out
>below.  I will point out that the INSTALL file states to do an
>'./install.script'; this should have clued you in to needing to be in the
>correct directory.
=================
Tue, 4 Jul 2000  21:10:18

Thank you David for a lesson learned, I will remember.

	I was thinking wrongly, that I was installing from a temporary
directory, obviously non unix thoughts in a unix environment. 8-) of
course it is obvious...but only after you told me...

>	The 'no' lines to configure, which have been snipped, are fine;
>_unless_ configure stops with an error.  Most README/INSTALL's inform you
>of what othe libs, etc you need to compile things.

	Yes they do, however first timers do not know what they are
telling you, or in fact what the errors are actually saying..

>	As a side note, please, please, please write in complete
>paragraphs with the lines wrapped at 72 columns.  I don't know if you can
>tell but this mail has had every line editied to fit within your screen.

	Certainly not an excuse for poor structure, but the message
was a hackup of a install log in Linux, stuffed into W95a and pasted
from Cetus notepad into Forte Agent mail reader. This I think must
have ruined the carriage returns, although it seemed ok when I pasted
it...I will not do this henceforth.

	The Forte Agent mailer has been always set to 72 and I have
not had a complaint in five years...but I have never before pasted
from Linux written material.

	In any case, aspostit is installed and running swallowed in
the Wharf as I wanted it. Thank you for taking the time to point me in
the correct direction.

Happy fourth of July
Olly P
Biloxi