Re: aterm question

Simon Drabble (simon@eskimo.com)
Wed, 5 Jul 2000 19:28:00 -0500 (EST)

On Wed, 5 Jul 2000, John E. Martin wrote:

> This may seem like an absolutely ridiculous question, but I'm known for that,
> so here goes...
>
> Is there a way to get true transparency through aterm? ie, when I have
> multiple terminals open, can I get the shading of the top to show the terms
> laying beneath it all the way to desktop? I'm sure this make reading the terms
> someone difficult, but I look for crack-addict features like that. ;)
>
> I've lived with it this way for a couple years, so I guess if I get back a
> 'No, you moron, you can't.' I won't be utterly destroyed.
>
> Thanks,
>
> -John

Short answer: no you can't.

AIUI, this is an X limitation, not aterm. You probably don't actually want
true transparency, since being able to see the behind window text through the
topmost window could get confusing.

It would be nice if there were a general, real-or-pseudo transparency under X
  -- so Netscape and other clients could have that set, maybe using a
particular colour map setting or something. But oh well. Tinted,
pseudo-transparency is still cool.

Si.