Re: aterm question

Sasha_Vasko@osca.state.mo.us
Thu, 6 Jul 2000 10:02:05 -0500

>On Wed, 5 Jul 2000, John E. Martin wrote:
>
>> This may seem like an absolutely ridiculous question, but I'm known for
that,
>> so here goes...
>>
>> Is there a way to get true transparency through aterm? ie, when I have
>> multiple terminals open, can I get the shading of the top to show the
terms
>> laying beneath it all the way to desktop? I'm sure this make reading the
terms
>> someone difficult, but I look for crack-addict features like that. ;)
>>
>> I've lived with it this way for a couple years, so I guess if I get back
>> 'No, you moron, you can't.' I won't be utterly destroyed.
>>
>> Thanks,
>>
>> -John
>>
>Short answer: no you can't.
>
>AIUI, this is an X limitation, not aterm. You probably don't actually want

This is correct. X windows does not support any alpha blending or
transparency
on windows. Guys in Apple had to implement their own solution for that
while
working on Aqua and OS X. There are rumors thou, that XF86 will get some
sort of
alpha blending sometime in version 4. When its done, then there will be
possibilities for what you want.

Cheers
Sasha