Re: [Afterstep Issues?]

Jim Turner (turnerjw2@netscape.net)
6 Jul 00 20:53:25 PDT

Jim Turner <turnerjw2@netscape.net> wrote:
> Greetings and thanks so much for a really great window manager!
> I've been using 1.6.10 for quite some time and just upgraded to
> 1.8.  I had numerous issues, but resolved almost all via
> manpages, FAQ, trial&error, etc., but I still have a few very
> minor ones which proplex me.

	If I may, let me follow up some on my own post.

> 1)	Drag & Drop on Wharf:  This used to work for me a long
> time ago, but I cant get it to work now  I would like to be
> able to drag an html file from KFM v. 1.85's "Autostart" file
> manager app to Netscape Wharf button and fire off Netscape (OR)
> click the Netscape Wharf button & fire off NS wo/ a file.  The
> latter works fine, but d&d is ignored.  Here's my Wharf setup:
	I tried downloading & installing "Offix Dnd" library,
	(ran ldconfig), installed their latest file manager "files",
	& tried from there.  I also reran configure for AS, and
	reinstalled Wharf.  Still does not work.  I also dug up some
	old information and determined that it DOES indeed work in
	Afterstep v. 1.0 (aka "Bowman"), but has been broke for me
	since.

> *Wharf Netscape netscape3.as.xpm DropExec "" /opt/netscape/netscape %s &
> *Wharf Netscape netscape3.as.xpm Exec "" /opt/netscape/netscape &
>
> 2)	"MenuMiniPixmaps": Setting this to 1 gives me icons in
> my "start" menu, but NOT my "WindowList" menu.  Setting it to
> 0 reverses this!  Is it possible to have mini-pixmaps in both
> menus?

	Is this a bug?

> 3)	Pager:  Docs say clicking an app's mini-window in the
> pager with button 2 (if in same page) gives corresponding window
> the focus.  For me it just moves the window down south and east
> until the NW corner is under the mouse-cursor and does not focus.
> I am using "ClickToFocus".

	This also works under AS 1.0 (Bowman)

> 4)	When WinList starts up, it no longer "knows" what
> windows are running until you hover the mouse over it.  I also
> have been unable to get "hide" to work.  Is this supposed to
> work similar to M$-Windows' winlist?  My desktop has multiple
> pages and bumping the mouse against the bottom of the screen
> moves the viewport down (as I want).

	Ok, I understand "Hide" now, but it comes up "HIDDEN", Can
	one make it come up "knowing" which other windows are loaded?

> 5)	What's the easiest way and best order to start
> "animate", "wharf", "winlist", "xearth", and an xterm and
> cause the xterm to come up and start out with the keyboard
> focus without having to click it?  (I'm using click2focus).

	This works sometimes, not others, It appears to be dependent
	on how long it takes other things (Wharf and Winlist) to load.
	Can the FOCUS command be used to specify a window & if so,
	how?

> 6)	Is there a way to set/change the icon pixmaps associated
> with start menu items which have submenus?  I tried using
> "0_nop" and this sets the pixmap for the menubar of the submenu,
> but NOT for the menuitem which brings up this submenu.

	Is it ".include"?  Tried this with single line "MiniPixmap "pixmap-file"; did
not work.

	Also, downloaded the latest patch.  It is a single
binary file "1.8.0-02-sasha-pager_deps_screen.patch", what do I need
to do to apply it?