Re: mind numbing beginner question...

David Mihm (dmihm@rchitecture.com)
Thu, 27 Jul 2000 10:47:53 -0500 (CDT)

On Thu, 27 Jul 2000 jaw@ex-ans.net wrote:

> I have afterstep-1.6.10 running on my FreeBSD 3.4 box.  ....

	1.8.0 has been out for some time now, perhaps you might consider
replacing the old version. (there are 3 patches to 1.8.0 as well).

> Now that I have afterstep running, do I need to make look & feel
> directories in ~/G/L/A next to the  non-configurable directory?  Then
> move some of the example look and/or feel files into it?  What is step1
> here in fooling with customization?

	Yes.  If you wish to start to customize the look/feels, you'd want
to mkdir ~/G/L/A/looks/ and ~/G/L/A/feels/ ; then cp one of the share/
directory look/feel files that best approxiamtes the look/feel you like
best.  Then you can rename the file, edit it in relation to the
explanations convererd in the appropriate sections of the man pages (man
afterstep).  Select 'menu->Quit->Restart this session' to rebuild the
startmenu which will reveal your newly created look/feel and the select
it.

	If you are wanting to change the menu from the defaults, this will
require you cp the .include files that are listed in the FILES section of
man afterstep; making the directories in the ~/G/L/A tree.

HTH