Re: Manpage error?

David Mihm (dmihm@rchitecture.com)
Thu, 27 Jul 2000 13:07:46 -0500 (CDT)

On Thu, 27 Jul 2000, Patrick Brewer wrote:

> The wharf man page says that the IconPath and PixmapPath settings are in
> /usr/local/share/afterstep/base.[8|15|16|24|32]bpp (and should be copied
> to ~/GNUstep/Library/AfterStep/base.[8|15|16|32]bpp). So far so good. But
> when I looked at the various files I discovered weirdness:

> 1. Several of the files ~/GNUstep/...base.xxbpp have the same IconPaths
> and PixmapPaths.

	Right, the number in the filename is used with the appropriate
colordepth - base.8bpp for 8bit, etc.  This means that you don't want
16bit icons for an 8bit display.

> 2. More importantly, the Pixmap paths refer to directories that do
> _not_exist. For example, a PixmapPath listed in .../base.32bpp is
> ~/GNUstep/Library/AfterStep/desktop/icons/16bpp/

	Right, this is fine.

> On my system ~/GNUstep/Libary/Afterstep doesn't have a directory called
> desktop. All it has is a file called non-configurable and all the base.xx
> stuff that the man page told me to copy there.

	Right, this is fine as well.  If you were to create the
directories, they would also be available in the path where pixmaps are to
be expected.

> BTW, since I can't tell where the wharf icons are supposed to be, can
> someone tell me? And what are Pixmaps vs. Icons?

	Wharf icons can go anywhere, as long as it is listed in the
PixmapPath; therefore, putting it in one of the directories already listed
saves a step - create dir as necessary.
	IconPath, as described by man afterstep - Specifies the paths to
locate the bitmaps in, typically used only if XPM, JPEG, or PNG images
aren't available. Valid bitmaps are standard X11 XBM's.

HTH