Re: TeX and Afterstep Revisited

David Mihm (dmihm@rchitecture.com)
Thu, 3 Aug 2000 09:05:58 -0500 (CDT)

On Thu, 3 Aug 2000, Patrick Brewer wrote:

> Boy, mention TeX and/or Xemacs and you get interesting responses. :)
>
> Yeah, I realize now that my question about using AS for TeX sounded
> bizarre. The reason is that I left out some context.
>
> Until just a few short weeks ago, I ran Openstep and was thrilled with it.
> But the software companies are abandoning it, so I had no choice but to
> leave it, too. Here's where the TeX comment comes in.
> You see, the TeX GUI for Openstep is incredible. A brief description
> follows, so if you don't like TeX or don't know what it is, you can ignore
> it.
>
> To tex a document, I could click the TeX icon on the dock, which would
> call up a minature file manager. Then I'd select a document and it would
> be TeXed and the corresponding dvi file displayed instantly. It I edited
> the tex document, I could simply save it then click on the dvi file and
> press alt-t and it would reTeX it. To print, press alt-p.
>
> So...
> When I said that I wanted to use AS as my TeX front end, what I meant was
> that I wanted to put a button on the wharf that behaved like the button on
> my Openstep dock. That's why I've been interested in what language the
> wharf config file is written in.
>
> Sorry for the confusion.
>
> BTW, the big reason I chose AS is that it's small and fast. And that's the
> same reason I'm not fond of Xemacs. It's huge. Its like using a sledge
> hammer to open a peanut.
>

> Thanks for your patience and please forgive my previous incomplete
> question.

	The icons on the Wharf are just that - icons, any icon.  You are
looking for an application, similar to Netscape or Xemacs itself.  As you
would simply use the example for Netscape (Xemacs) in the Wharf config for
it's button, you'd use this same principle for the application you found
to 'do' TeX:

[exerpt]
*Wharf TeXapp anicon.xpm Exec "-" /path/to/TeXapp

	I hope this clears up any confusion you might have as to what
the AfterStep Wharf actually does.