Re: Multiple desktops...need only one...

dpeterso@nd.edu
Fri, 4 Aug 2000 13:14:49 -0500 (EST)

Gammon, John P previously wrote:

>I an using Afterstep as the WM in my RH6.2/X 3.3.6 install.  I am looking
>for a way to turn off the multiple desktops in the environment.  I only need
>one.  I am hoping to conserve resources on the machine and cut down on the

I am not 100% certain of this, but I really don't believe that there is
any real overhead in managing the extra desktops.  They're mainly a
convenient way of organizing your applications.  (Of course if you're
background that's another story :)  In any event, certainly the type and
number of applications that are running do far more damage to the resource
usage than managing multiple desktops...

However, if you have the AfterStep source, run
"./configure --with-desktops=1 && make && make install"

Hope this helps,
-Don