Re: Multiple desktops...need only one...

David Mihm (dmihm@rchitecture.com)
Fri, 4 Aug 2000 15:09:06 -0500 (CDT)

On Fri, 4 Aug 2000 dpeterso@nd.edu wrote:

> Gammon, John P previously wrote:
>
> >I an using Afterstep as the WM in my RH6.2/X 3.3.6 install.  I am looking
> >for a way to turn off the multiple desktops in the environment.  I only need
> >one.  I am hoping to conserve resources on the machine and cut down on the
>
> I am not 100% certain of this, but I really don't believe that there is
> any real overhead in managing the extra desktops.  They're mainly a
> convenient way of organizing your applications.  (Of course if you're
> background that's another story :)  In any event, certainly the type and
> number of applications that are running do far more damage to the resource
> usage than managing multiple desktops...
>
> However, if you have the AfterStep source, run
> "./configure --with-desktops=1 && make && make install"

	man Pager, look at the second EXAMPLE.  It's for one desk/4 (2x2)
views in the wharf - just skip the wharf part and make it 1 (1x1) view.

HTH ....mumbling something about docs having all the info you'll ever need