Re: Multiple desktops...need only one...

David Mihm (dmihm@rchitecture.com)
Fri, 4 Aug 2000 16:45:22 -0500 (CDT)

On Fri, 4 Aug 2000 dpeterso@nd.edu wrote:

> David Mihm previously wrote:

> >> However, if you have the AfterStep source, run
> >> "./configure --with-desktops=1 && make && make install"
> >

> >	man Pager, look at the second EXAMPLE.  It's for one desk/4 (2x2)
> >views in the wharf - just skip the wharf part and make it 1 (1x1) view.
>
> This is fine and good for Pager to display/manage 1 desk.  But it doesn't
> change the fact that AfterStep is still managing the number of desktops it
> was compiled to handle.  (You *can* use desktops that aren't shown in the
> pager, after all).  Since he was asking about RESOURCE allocation, I
> assumed it was actual desktop, and not visualization...

	Actually, the compile option sets these files up automatically; if
you said you wanted 1 desk with 1 view, it would be the same as accepting
the defaults and then doing exactly what I suggested.  There is no
internal code change for selecting the views/desks upon compile time.
There is no RESOURCE change by altering this.  In other words, you are not
correct in your assumptions, :) it's purely a visual thing that gets set.