Re: .steprc problem

Niall (bradyn@maths.tcd.ie)
Thu, 07 Sep 2000 16:23:52 +0100

In message <Pine.LNX.3.96.1000906142528.12619A-100000@afterstep.org>, David Mih
m writes:
>On Wed, 6 Sep 2000, Niall wrote:
>>   /usr/X11R6/bin/afterstep: unable to bind socket to name
>>  '/home/bradyn//GNUstep/Library/AfterStep/non-configurable/
>>  connect.DISPLAY=:0.0':No such file or directory
>
>	This might be due to NFS or other non-physical disk.

Nope, I've tried on both nfs, and non-nfs disks; the above error came from the
normal disk...

>	Are both of these systems FBSD, are they both with the AfterStep
>port _from_ *BSD?  What is the colordepth, can your display handle the
>colordepth?  Are you sure you have AfterStep running that's showing you
>this screen and not twn (having not found AfterStep).  Have you tried to
>actually compile the offical AfterStep (not this 'port' to FBSD you are
>referring to)?

Yep, both freebsd, both with the same port.
The ports mechanism on freebsd is just a method for automatically compiling and
maintaining systems, using the offical source code; it pulls the tar.gz file
from afterstep.org (or an appropriate mirror), changes the linux penguin to a
bsd daemon in a couple of places :), then compiles away.
So the result shouldn't be any different from downloading and compiling like
that...

>> Running off and changing everything in the /usr/local/share/afterstep/
>> directories is no real problem; I'm just curious as to what's causing the
>> problem with the steprc files!
>
>	I'm not sure what you are saying to change and what impact it has
>on anything.  I did see this the first time you posted it and all my
>questions are shots-in-the-dark.  I would think the Offical version of AS
>runs fine on *BSD, as for using the archaic .steprc in *BSD; I'd assume
>it'd work too.  If I had to tka e my first guess, I'd say you are running
>twn when you say it's AS with no menus/etc ... but I really have no idea.

I did manage to get 1.8.0 to work on a non-nfs disk; so I'd just have to do up
a new system-wide menu config... that'd be what I'd be changing...

Must check about that twm stuff... though I won't be at a display until
later...

--
	Niall