Re: Start menu confusion

Stasinos Konstantopoulos (konstant@let.rug.nl)
Wed, 6 Sep 2000 17:05:08 +0200

Op wo. 06 sep 2000 08:33:57 zei Chris Dunn:

> The operation of the start menu is testing my sanity.
>
> If I enter an item :
>
> Exec <name> exec /usr/X11R6/bin/display &
>
> then the start menu refuses to honour it and display is not
> started when selected.
>
> Change the item to :
>
> Exec <name> exec xiterm -e /usr/X11R6/bin/display &
>
> then everything is fine, except that I have an open xiterm that I
> didn't want.
>
> What is happening here?
>
> Would someone please be kind enough to throw me a life raft.
>
> Chris Dunn

i know nothing about imagemagick or display so this is only a wild
guess, but could it be that it relies on some env variable that gets
set for your shells but not the entire session? for example on my
HP-UX .dtprofile gets sourced by dtsession at login time, but not
.login or .profile which are local to each login shell through the
session.

hoping this helps a bit,