Re: .steprc problem

Albert Dorofeev (albert@tigr.net)
Wed, 20 Sep 2000 11:25:32 +0200

On Thu, Sep 07, 2000 at 09:49:00AM +0200, Frank Ronny Larsen wrote:
> > > 1) If the ~/GNUstep directory hasn't been created, then
> > >    AfterStep gives the following error... (from .xsession-errors)
> > >
> > >   /usr/X11R6/bin/afterstep: unable to bind socket to name
> > >  '/home/bradyn//GNUstep/Library/AfterStep/non-configurable/
> > >  connect.DISPLAY=:0.0':No such file or directory
> >
> > 	This might be due to NFS or other non-physical disk.
>
> I'm sure this has been discussed here before, but what is the reason
> this socket is located in the users home directory? On large sites the
> home directory is very likely to be placed on an NFS mounted system instead
> of a local disk.
>
> /tmp would be a much more logical place to put this file. (as is done by
> most other programs using file-sockets..) Only on very rare occassions
> have I seen /tmp being NFS mounted. (and that was diskless workstations).

The pipe was originally in the /tmp directory and it was moved
to the home directory so that two users starting on the same
machine would not attempt to write each other's files.
There is also a security problem with placing the file
into the /tmp - you all heard of possible race conditions
and it is a good idea to think of that before you create
a file in the /tmp. Of course, having the pipe on NFS
does not make any sense at all but there should be a better
solution than to just create a file in the /tmp.

As for the cure, usually your workstation will have some
local disk space. Move (without afterstep running) the
non-configurable directory from your home dir to that
local disk and create a symbolic link that will point
there from your ~/G/L/A directory.

Albert

--
Albert Dorofeev (Tigr) - albert at tigr.net - http://www.tigr.net/
PGP fingerprint = C9 49 D0 F3 41 FA 8C D8  E9 5C 6A D4 F1 6D 65 15