Re: Start menu confusion

David Mihm (dmihm@rchitecture.com)
Wed, 6 Sep 2000 10:30:00 -0500 (CDT)

On Wed, 6 Sep 2000, Chris Dunn wrote:

> The operation of the start menu is testing my sanity.
>
> If I enter an item :
>
> Exec <name> exec /usr/X11R6/bin/display &
>
> then the start menu refuses to honour it and display is not
> started when selected.
>
> Change the item to :
>
> Exec <name> exec xiterm -e /usr/X11R6/bin/display &
>
> then everything is fine, except that I have an open xiterm that I
> didn't want.
>
> What is happening here?
>
> Would someone please be kind enough to throw me a life raft.
>
> Chris Dunn

I assume you are using 1.8.x . Use just an entry of
'/usr/X11R6/bin/display &' - this _will_ work.  Use the file name in the
star directory that you put that line in to be the name that appears in
the menu (I used a filename of ImageMagick).  If you just want to use the
Exec, use
'Exec "name must be in quotes" exec sh /usr/X11R6/bin/display &'
(this is untested).

HTH