Re: Trouble with AfterStep-1.8 on AIX 4.3

Sailesh Krishnamurthy (saileshwar@yahoo.com)
Thu, 28 Sep 2000 15:43:23 -0700 (PDT)

Thank you very much for your help.

In addition I made the following change to autoconf/Makefile.defines.in:
----------->diff starts below this line<--------------------
35a36
> LIBS_MISC       = -lm
45c46
< LIBRARIES     = $(LIBS_ASDYN) $(LIBS_XEXTS) $(LIBS_X)
---
> LIBRARIES     = $(LIBS_ASDYN) $(LIBS_XEXTS) $(LIBS_X) $(LIBS_MISC)
----------->diff ends above this line<--------------------

This was required for a bunch of modules that refer the "pow" function.

Also, one of the other errors that I had was:

Animate: unable to connect to socket
'/u/sailesh//GNUstep/Library/AfterStep/non-
configurable/connect.DISPLAY=blandings.almaden.ibm.com:0.0': No such file or
dir
ectory
Animate: unable to establish connection to AfterStep
Wharf: unable to connect to socket
'/u/sailesh//GNUstep/Library/AfterStep/non-co
nfigurable/connect.DISPLAY=blandings.almaden.ibm.com:0.0': No such file or
direc
tory
Wharf: unable to establish connection to AfterStep

1356-806 xinit: Waiting for X server to shut down.

Since my home directory is mounted on AFS I suspected AFS permission problems.
To avoid this I moved the GNUstep directory to my local filesystem and
established a symlink from my home directory.

Thanks all !

Now to figure out how to configure AfterStep-1.8 !! I've only used the old
version before and this is completely new :-)

--- Sasha_Vasko@osca.state.mo.us wrote:
> > Greetings
>
> Hi
>
> > I'm trying to compile and install afterstep on AIX 4.3
>
> > I compiled xpm-3.4k (the only version I could find) and libpng and libjpeg
>
> > However, I get a lot of errors on startup (in my .xerrors file) and then
> > afterstep shuts down. Most of them are of this sort:
>
> > ============
> >
> > Detected colordepth : 8. Loading configuration .
> >  LoadImage: cannot load XPM file
> > [/usr/local/share/afterstep/desktop/icons/8bpp/
> > /ASBBlockDefault.xpm]
> >  LoadImage: you need to install libXPM v 4.0 or higher, in order to read
> images
>
> AS you can see from this message, compiler failed to locate XPM library.
> Please make sure that you've installed both library and header files that
> comes with it.
> If you did, then please remove config.cache and config.status and rerun
> configure
> specifying path to your library and includes :
>
> ./configure --with-xpm-library=/path/to/library
> --with-xpm-includes=/path/to/includes
>
> For example :
>
> ./configure --with-xpm-library=/usr/X11R6/lib
> --with-xpm-includes=/usr/X11R6/include
>
> Please check the output of configure to see if it found XPM library. If no
> then check config.log for any errors.
>
> > Toodle-pip
> > Sailesh
>

> Please let me know if that does not work.
> Thanks
> Sasha

=====
Toodle-pip