Re: .steprc problem

David Mihm (dmihm@rchitecture.com)
Wed, 6 Sep 2000 14:37:52 -0500 (CDT)

On Wed, 6 Sep 2000, Niall wrote:

> I'm having a problem with using ye olde steprc files; we only recently
> (during the course of doing a complete ports reinstall) upgraded from,
> *ahem*, 1.0, and have since discovered that our old steprc file no
> longer works. (running version 1.8.0, the afterstep-stable port on
> FreeBSD). If AfterStep is started in the normal manner, everything works
> fine; however if the "-f" option is chosen; one of two things happens...
>
> 1) If the ~/GNUstep directory hasn't been created, then
>    AfterStep gives the following error... (from .xsession-errors)
>
>   /usr/X11R6/bin/afterstep: unable to bind socket to name
>  '/home/bradyn//GNUstep/Library/AfterStep/non-configurable/
>  connect.DISPLAY=:0.0':No such file or directory

	This might be due to NFS or other non-physical disk.

> 2) If the ~/GNUstep directory has been created (after
>    starting up Afterstep in the normal manner), then
>    and you then try to start Afterstep with (eg)
>
>    	exec /usr/X11R6/bin/afterstep -f /local/skel/steprc.maths
>
>    you get a black & white scheme, with no menus, buttons
>    or control over moving windows.
>    (I've tried this on two systems; and with both our steprc file,
>    and the test.steprc file distributed with AfterStep

	Are both of these systems FBSD, are they both with the AfterStep
port _from_ *BSD?  What is the colordepth, can your display handle the
colordepth?  Are you sure you have AfterStep running that's showing you
this screen and not twn (having not found AfterStep).  Have you tried to
actually compile the offical AfterStep (not this 'port' to FBSD you are
referring to)?

> Running off and changing everything in the /usr/local/share/afterstep/
> directories is no real problem; I'm just curious as to what's causing the
> problem with the steprc files!

	I'm not sure what you are saying to change and what impact it has
on anything.  I did see this the first time you posted it and all my
questions are shots-in-the-dark.  I would think the Offical version of AS
runs fine on *BSD, as for using the archaic .steprc in *BSD; I'd assume
it'd work too.  If I had to tka e my first guess, I'd say you are running
twn when you say it's AS with no menus/etc ... but I really have no idea.