FvwmConsole FvwmCommand

Sasha_Vasko@osca.state.mo.us
Mon, 11 Dec 2000 08:48:46 -0600

> Hi list....first posting.....

> I just installed afterstep for the first time.  I wanted something that
> was as hackable and configurable as Fvwm2 and as nice on the eyes as
> WindowMaker (I also happen to like the next look).  It looks quite nice
> so far.  I think I might be a convert!

> Fvwm2 has two REALLY SLICK modules called FvwmConsole and FvwmCommand.
> FvwmConsole allows users to enter any valid Fvwm2 command in a console
> window.  This would allow commands like setting key bindings, autoraise
> behavior, window switching behavior, etc to be modified while the window
> manager is up and running without restarting the window manager
> session.  FvwmCommand is a module which allows commands to be executed
> from a shell command line.  This allows window manager settings to be
> manipulated via the shell in a script.  It's very nice to be able to
> script various window manager stuff.  Does anyone know of any modules
> for afterstep that accomplish these tasks?  If so, I would DEFINITELY be
> an afterstep convert!

There is a perl script in the distro that does just that.

tools/ascommand.pl

althou it should be installed together with the rest of the stuff.

ascommand.pl -h will give you nice explanation how to use it.

You should be able to send AfterStep any command described in man pages.
Althou there are no command for dynamically changing key/mouse bindings
but you can change your feel file, and send command  ChangeLook/ChangeFeel
to have AfgterStep reread this updated config.

> Thanks,
> Weston

Cheers
Sasha