Re: afterstep in redhat

Doug Alcorn (doug@lathi.net)
08 Dec 2000 09:40:20 -0500

Nathaniel, while I am interested in what RedHat does (or doesn't) do
with AfterStep, the best forum for this is the as-users mailing list.

Nathaniel Graham <npgraham@usa.net> writes:

> Hello,
> 	On the official afterstep page, it mentions that RedHat has removed afterstep
> from it's distribution.  I recently contacted RedHat about that and my growing
> list of issues with their distribution.  The response I received was:
>
> "As for packages no longer in the distribution, we drop packages when they
> become too difficult to maintain. We do not have a huge development staff and
> thus we rely heavily on the community to support and maintain various
> packages. If there's a package that has been dropped that you feel we need,
> pitch in and help maintain the code. We could then add it back into the
> distribution." (I reformatted it, but it's otherwise verbatim).
>
> Now last I checked, the afterstep team has always made afterstep available in
> rpm and srpm format.  What more maintainence do they need?  While she may have
> been refering more specifically to some of the other packages I asked about,
> afterstep was one of my biggest beefs (however, xv hasn't changed in forever,
> so again, what maintainence could they need?).
>
> Any clarification you can provide would be appreciated.
> Thanks for your time.
>

> Nathaniel Graham

Yes, AS has had problems with RedHat for quite some time.  I'm sure
there are several on the as-users list who can chime in with stories.
Most of the problems relate to their decision of which version of AS
they ship.  One time they took (just like the recent gcc mess) one of
our development snapshots (1.4.something) and called it 1.5.0.  Prior
to that, they had built their own window manager out of fvwm and
_called_ it AfterStep.  I think _it_ still ships with RedHat.  They
now call it "AnotherLevel" (it would be interesting to know if anyone
is using this).

Other's may have differing opinions, but I say "good riddance."
--
 (__)  Doug Alcorn (mailto:doug@lathi.net http://www.lathi.net)
 oo /  PGP Finger Print = 02B3 1E26 BCF2 9AAF 93F1  61D7 450C B264 3E63 D543