misconceptions about --options to configure [was Re: none]

David Mihm (dmihm@rchitecture.com)
Fri, 9 Feb 2001 13:03:07 -0600 (CST)

On  9 Feb, turnerjw2@netscape.net wrote:
> It is a shame that you have to pick your desktop dimensions at COMPILE
> time and not as a feel option :(

This is completely and utterly _wrong_, with one exception - if you want a
different look & feel for each desktop.
I think people look at ./configure --help and think they need to set all
these things; and I agree, all the default options should have something
next to them showing they are default, but you don't need to have any
options to configure at all.  Everything is configurable from the
configuration files (aside from that _one_ thing mentioned above).  This
isn't one of those other window managers that has everything tied into
configure, and only allows changes made that affect look/feel to be
set from configure.  This is why we here at AfterStep think our window
manager is the most configureable, because of the fact that it _is_.  Yes,
I know I am preaching to the choir here, but it begs mentioning often, so
tell your friends. :)  So in closing, don't feel that you even need to
look at the output of configure --help and most of all, don't feel
pressured that you need to make a descision to set or unset one of these
options; just ./configure && make && make install!