Re: misconceptions about --options to configure [was Re: none]

David Mihm (dmihm@rchitecture.com)
Fri, 9 Feb 2001 14:13:12 -0600 (CST)

On Fri, 9 Feb 2001 turnerjw2@netscape.net wrote:

> Well, I used the SAME file trees (/usr/local/share/afterstep/* and
> ~abUserHome/GNUstep/Library/AfterStep/*) -- (The preinstalled version
> was in /usr/share/afterstep), but with their version, my pager was
> 2 desktops with 1 virtual screen in each, but with the one I built,
> it worked great (I got the file trees from another machine which I was
> already using, and the versions were the same - 1.8.3).

The base.#bpp file contains the directive DeskTopSize which "defines the
number of view Columns by the number of view Rows of the desk(s) in
proportional units, i.e. 2x1 would show 2 views of 1 desk, one beside
another."  For your case it would be 1x1.  While this is settable during
configure (only by using macros to set these items in the conf files
themselves), you have just show it's in the conf files themselves.

> I also compiled
> in the ability to use my start menu options which were in my feel file --
> I find it MUCH easier to put my menus into 1 file than to scatter bunches
> of 1 or 2 line files in a tree of directories.

This ability is already in, there is nothing to "compile in" for this to
happen.  Are you referring to --enable-fixed-menus, if so this isn't what
you are describing here.   It was a request by Red Hat way back when, to
define a directory where these "1 or 2 line files in a tree of
directories" could be kept away from users (so they wouldn't rm them) but
yet they would still appear in the menu no matter what their user
~/G/L/A/start/ directory had.