Re: Redirecting error messages to an aterm

quintaq@yahoo.co.uk
Mon, 5 Feb 2001 21:06:34 -0000

On 5 Feb 2001, at 13:41, Aidan Kehoe wrote:

> $ cd
> $ grep -n afterstep ./.[xX]*
> .xinitrc:16:exec afterstep
>
> Then edit the file (.xinitrc in this case, but that may vary) to
> change the `exec afterstep' line to
>
> exec afterstep > ${HOME}/.startx-errors 2>&1

Hi Aidan,

Thank you very much.  I did as you suggested and I can now use
"tail -f " to view growing messages file in an aterm.

Because I am keen to learn, I have read up on the syntax you
suggested, and I understand most of it.  I am, however, curious
about the ".xinitrc:16:exec afterstep" part, which chokes at the
"16" stage on my system.  Am I doing something wrong ?

Thanks,

Geoff

[INVALID FOOTER]